Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 29 May 2013
(Meeting Minutes written June 26th, 2013 by John Gerty)
- Approximately 28 members and guests met at 6:30 pm. This month’s location was the Chicago Maritime Museum located on the 6th floor of the Helix Building on the southwest corner of Racine and Jackson.
Board and Committee Reports
- President – John Bell welcomed everyone.
- Secretary – John Gerty was present. The March meeting minutes were submitted.
- Treasurer –Bob Gabois, reported on the status of the Treasury.
- Membership Report – Scott Reimer provided updated membership rosters.
- Chicago Maritime Society, May 16th – CMS hosted a panel discussion program on “the Lowest Water Levels in Lake Michigan’s History: What it means for the Chicago Recreational Boating Community’s 2013 Season?”. The program was held at the Corinthian Yacht Club, at Montrose Harbor, Chicago. No details were known at the time of our UASC meeting.
- Thursday Night Dive Charters with Windy City Diving- UASC has agreed to establish six scheduled dive dates this season with Captn. Jim Gentile. These dives will occur on Thursday evenings. Cost will be underwritten by UASC to provide support for current shipwreck research projects. 4 to 6 divers will be accommodated. Cost will be $40 pp with 6 divers; $50 pp for 5 divers; or $60 pp for 4 divers. Support is only for specific plans to accomplish specific goals on current research projects.
- The Brendon Baillod program on Research Methodology – This follow-up program is still being worked on. An announcement will be made via email once things are decided.
- Eileen Skib-Bach Memorial Dive, June 22 – At Haigh Quarry; there will be a day of diving followed by a potluck dinner at 5:15pm and a night dive.
- Next UASC Meeting is June 26th- The speaker is to be announced in the next meeting announcement email. Thank you Jim Jarecki for arranging our speakers.
- Next ICSSD Meeting is on June 28th.
- Survey Reports:
- Car Ferry Barge No. 2: A new bottle is in place; location tags are to be checked and further rail analysis is planned.
- Val’s Wreck and Flora Hill: Will both use some of the UASC dive dates planned with Captn. Jim Gentile and his Windy City Dive Boat.
- Silver Spray: Jonathan Plotner reported snorkeling has been hampered by low visibility.
Thank you John & Ruth Loftus and John Gerty for providing tonight’s refreshments.
- UASC- Scheduled speakers have been named for October: Stephen Cullen, of WUA; November: James Delgado; December: Holiday Party; January 2014: UASC Survey Project Reports.
- Ship Shape TV – Sarantis Alexopoulos mentioned that there is a new TV show on Aurora digital channel 24.2 (TUFF TV) that is called Ship Shape TV. This is a show about boat repair and maintenance. It is shown Tuesdays at 2:30 pm.
- Refreshments – Thanks to Dan Kasberger for his continuing organizing of the refreshments. This month Scott Reimer provided refreshments. Next meeting’s refreshments will be provided by: Rob Hughes, Julie Schiebe, Jack Bolous and Joli Riley
- Meeting Ending – The meeting ended with project leaders presenting reports and stating future goals for their endeavors.