Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 24 April 2013
(Meeting Minutes written May 28th, 2013 by John Gerty)
- Approximately 40 members and guests met at 6:30 pm. This month’s location was the Chicago Maritime Museum located on the 6th floor of the Helix Building on the southwest corner of Racine and Jackson.
Board and Committee Reports
- President – John Bell welcomed everyone.
- Secretary – John Gerty was present. The March meeting minutes were submitted.
- Treasurer – John Bell, in lieu of Bob Gabois, reported on the status of the Treasury. Booth expenses were higher this season due to the purchase of a new exhibit booth. The debut was highly successful at OWU, Ghost Ships and CMF.
- Membership Report – Scott Reimer provided updated membership rosters. Scott also reported on monies taken in. Dues represented $3500.00 to $3600.00 of 2012 revenue. There were 45 family and 70 individual memberships received
- ROV Workshop April 20 &21 –The workshop was a great success. Participants fielded 5 different ROV designs and had the opportunity to operate Dr. Gleason’s commercial ROV as well.
- Milwaukee Amature Underwater Film Festival- At the Discovery Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Hitzeman Family Theatre Event – A dozen UASC members were participants enjoyed a live presentation of the play “The Trip to Bountiful”
- Thursday Night Dive Charters with Windy City Diving- UASC has agreed to establish six scheduled dive dates this season with Captn. Jim Gentile. These dives will occur on Thursday evenings. Cost will be underwritten by UASC to provide support for current shipwreck research projects. 4 to 6 divers will be accommodated. Cost will be $40 pp with 6 divers; $50 pp for 5 divers; or $60 pp for 4 divers. Support is only for specific plans to accomplish specific goals on current research projects.
- The Brendon Baillod program on Research Methodology – This follow-up program is still being worked on. An announcement will be made via email once things are decided.
- Next UASC Meeting is May 29th- Ted Karamanski, will present a program on” Great Lakes Sailing Vessels of the War of 1812”. Thank you Jim Jarecki for arranging this interesting speaker.
Thank you Scott Reimer for providing tonight’s refreshments.
Richard Lanyon - Will be presenting a program based upon his book titled “History of the Sanitary and Ship Canal”. Mr Lanyon has worked with the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District for 48 years.
- Chicago Maritime Society- On May 16th CMS will be presenting a panel discussion program “Lowest Water Levels in Lake Michigan’s History: What it means for the Chicago Recreational Boating Community’s 2013 Season”. Location will be the Corinthian Yacht Club, Montrose Harbor; doors open at 6:30 pm panel discussion begins at 7:00 pm.
- Ship Shape TV – Sarantis Alexopoulos mentioned that there is a new TV show on Aurora digital channel 24.2 (TUFF TV) that is called Ship Shape TV. This is a show about boat repair and maintenance. It is shown Tuesdays at 2:30 pm.
- Refreshments – Thanks to Dan Kasberger for his continuing organizing of the refreshments. This month Scott Reimer provided refreshments. Next meeting’s refreshments will be provided by: John & Ruth Loftus, John Gerty and Joli Riley
- Meeting End – The meeting ended with project leaders presenting reports and stating future goals for their endeavors.