Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 29 September 2010
- Approximately 25 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Guests: Jacquelyn Rae and Dean Benninger.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Dean Nolan, with food provided by Dan Kasberger, John Gerty, John Bell, and others..
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer. Current rosters only include members whose dues are current for 2010.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Jim Jarecki sold 3 DVDs
- Contact Bob for further details
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Scott Reimer new delegate.
- Sept 18 - International Beach Clean Up Day
- Blackwell Forest Preserve, thanks to Pat Hammer providing insurance.
- 13 particapants.
- Weather prevented diving. :-(
- Fantastic BBQ
- Oct 3 - Pumpkin Carving at Haigh Quarry.
- Tritons hosting.
- Pumpkins provided
- Chili, Hot dogs and hamburgers, pop.
- Prizes and awards.
- No fee other than Haigh entry fee.
- Oct 16 - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Sawa's Old Warsaw in Broadview, ( Cermak and 17th )
- 6-7 Cocktails, 7-9 Dinner - All you can eat Polish buffet.
- $23, tickets available from Bob and Claire Gadbois.
- HUGE raffle.
- Awards applications due at September ICSSD meeting.
- Bring Toys for Tots to the Dinner. Non-violent unwrapped toys. No stuffed toys this year.
- DiveHeart - 5th annual golf outing Friday Sept 24th, $125 golf & dinner, $25 dinner only, $100 sponsor.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl is out of town
- Cris getting caught up.
- 25 Color PDF newsletters have been provided to John Bell, dated 2002 to 2009, and have been posted to the web site..
- John will look into making online newletters searchable.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Survey Coordinator - John Gerty
- John working on a slate for the Buccaneer
- Still planning to do the sector scan sonar.
- Flora Hill video completed.
- NAS II presentations at Traverse City October 16th.
- John Gerty, Cris Kohl, Joan Forsberg, and Ruth Magnus making progress on 12th street beach wreck.
- Dive Coordinators - Michael Angelo Gagliardi.
- Nothing planned at this time.
- Haigh Quarry & Mermet Springs may be good training dives.
- Charters are posted on the UASC Google calendar.
- DiveHeart Liason - Gene Hasiak:
- Luau November 13th. Claire has raffle tickets.
- Trip to Bonaire. Looking for help and sponsorship.
- Tall Ships Chicago 2010 Aug 24-29
- Jim Jarecki did 6 presentations around Indiana for Archaeology Month. Over 1000 viewers, bringing total up to over 2000.
- Whiting IN Library presentation on Saturday November 6th
- ICSSD President's Night Oct 16th. - See above.
- Survey Projects 2010 – Buccaneer, Material Service, Flora Hill, Barge #2 and Rotarian - See Below
- Nominating Committee for new board - Don Doherty, Cris Kohl, Joan Forsberg, Jim Jarecki
- Slate to be presented at the October meeting and voted on in November.
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Speakers always needed.
- 67 Divers at the Burnham Harbor cleanup dive this year.
- This Sunday LOUP has a speaker from the Field Museum. 1:00, 8th floor Helix Building.
- UASC co-founder, Valarie Van Heest's newest book, Lost on the Lady Elgin, is available at the discounted price of $25 for UASC members at tonight's meeting. Valarie's book commemorates the 150th anniversary of this tragedy which claimed more lives than any other on the open waters of the Great Lakes.
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger Refreshments coordinator.
- Joan Forsberg - October
- Todd Hitzeman - November
NEXT MEETING: Wednesday October 27, 2010 - Speaker TBD
Refreshments to be provided by Joan Forsberg.
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - SUNK! JUNE 18, 2010 - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Tonight's presentation includes video of the sinking and underwater footage.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker -- US ! !
- The following UASC members presented what they did on their ( summer ) vacations:
- Bill Messenger - Trips in support of Pony Pak.
- Bob Gadbois - Mermet Springs, Seabird, Wisconsin, L. E. Paddlewheel,
- Bob recommends the book "Red Stacks Over the Horizon".
- Diane Gulczynski & Gene Hasiak- Underwater Detective Program taught to the MSU Summer Camp in Munising Mi. dedicated to T. Dale Vinette-a historical Navy and civilian diver.
- Michael Angelo Gagliardi - Cow Springs Restoration Project
- John Gerty - The Buccaneer
- John Bell- Blackbeard's Bahamas Christmas 2009
- Chet Childs - Alaska Highway Motorcycle Trip
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.