Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 27 October 2010
- Approximately 30 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Joan Forsberg
- UASC expresses its sympathies to the loss of Bob Gadbois' twin sister who recently passed away.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer. Current rosters only include members whose dues are current for 2010.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- paid $540 to Windy City Diving
- Paid $60 to renew membership in the Association For Great Lakes Maritime History.
- Jim sold 3 DVDs
- Bob Gadbois gave a presentation on the Lady Elgin to the Glenview History Center and deposited the $100 Honorarium.
- Contact Bob for further details
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Oct 16 - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Bob Rushman was awarded Diver of the Year
- UASC was awarded Dive Club of the Year
- DiveHeart - 5th annual golf outing Friday Sept 24th, $125 golf & dinner, $25 dinner only, $100 sponsor.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl is out of town
- Cris getting caught up, and plans to produce several long newsletters before the end of the year.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Survey Coordinator - John Gerty
- Progress continues on the Car Ferry number 2, the Flora Hill, and the 12th street beach wreck.
- Dive Coordinators - Michael Angelo Gagliardi.
- Nothing planned at this time.
- Haigh Quarry & Mermet Springs may be good training dives.
- Charters are posted on the UASC Google calendar.
- A friend of Mike is offering a Cave and Cavern course in Florida in February. See the e-mail from Mike for full details.
- DiveHeart Liason - Gene Hasiak:
- Ft. McCoy in WI. Presented with a plaque promoting operations.
- Laps for Love charity swimming fundraiser.
- Several TV stations have had programs on DiveHeart
- November presentations, Discover Scuba.
- Luau November 13th.
- Oct 15th - WUAA Conference. Kimm Stabelfeldt, WI Historical Society Maritime Program by Tami Thompson, and many other great presentations. Ghost Ships will have workshop on how to survey a schooner. Kevin Collin. Brendon Baillon on the L.R. Doty.
- Oct 15th - NAS II / Grand Traverse Bay Summit in Traverse City, MI. John Gerty presented. Several UASC members attended. Presentation on the Westmoreland, a great lakes treasure ship. NAS II projects presented, including John Gerty on 12th Street Beach wreck. NAS III courses had some value to some participants.
- Oct 15th - ICSSD President's Night - UASC earned Club of the Year and Bob Rushman earned Diver of the Year.
- Larry Boucha and Mike Brutlag have offered special courses. See Mike Angelo's e-mail for details.
- Survey Projects 2010 – Buccaneer, Material Service, Flora Hill, Barge #2 and Rotarian - See Below
- Nominating Committee for new board - Don Doherty, Cris Kohl, Joan Forsberg, Jim Jarecki
- Slate presented by the nominating committee:
- Past President - Joan Forsberg
- President - Don Doherty
- Vice President - Hank Fiene
- Treasurer - Bob Gadbois
- Secretary - John Bell
- President-Elect - Dean Nolan ( To become President in 2012. )
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Speakers always needed.
- Whiting IN Library presentation by Jim Jarecki 1pm shipwrecks of Indiana, Nov 6th.
- Hank and Jim found a 3-masted schooner, The Thomas Hume. EXCELLENT wreck in great shape. Valerie will be presenting on it at OWU / Ghost Ships. 150' to the bottom. 135 feet long. Vis was stem to stern. Dishes, boots, deadeyes, etc.
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger Refreshments coordinator.
- Joan Forsberg - October
- Todd Hitzeman - November
- No meeting in December
NEXT MEETING: Wednesday November 17, 2010 - The week BEFORE Thanksgiving
Refreshments to be provided by Todd Hitzeman
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - SUNK! JUNE 18, 2010 - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Tonight's presentation includes video of the sinking and underwater footage.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker -- Kimm Stabelfeldt -- Organization of Survey Diving
Kimm has one of the largest private collections of Great Lakes Books and ephemera in Wisconsin and is the author of five popular Great Lakes dive guides. His work has been published in numerous periodicals and he holds memberships in many Great Lakes maritime organizations. A certified Divemaster and Trimix diver, Kimm is the President of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Research Foundation and the founder of the annual Ghost Ships Festival in Milwaukee.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.