Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 31 March 2010
- Approximately 40 to 50 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- New members and guests: Mark, Jerry, Mike, David, Lynn Funkhouser, Monica,
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Mike Brutlag
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer. Current rosters only include members whose dues are current for 2010.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Lots of activity this month - Web hosting, new memberships, P.O. Box, dues
- Contact Bob for further details
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- The Underwater Competition has been moved to April 11 due to pool repairs.
- There may be a new event, TBD.
- Elk Grove Pavillion Pool in Elk Grove Village
- Starts at 12:00 noon.
- $40 / team.
- UASC - Mike Brutlag team Captain, JTB, Cris, Joan, Dan, Hank, Delphine,
- ICSSD held a showing of the movie "The Cove" about mistreatment of dolphins in Japan, at Helix probably on March 13th. A second showing is being planned, to be given further advance notice.
- July 25 - Jim Haigh Memorial
- Sept 18 - International Beach Clean Up Day
- Blackwell Forest Preserve Silver Lake is a possibility
- Oct 3 - Pumpkin Carving
- Oct 16 - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Nov 9 - Board Budget Meeting
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl
- New issues soon.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Survey Coordinator - John Gerty
- Need list of wrecks to scan with sector scan unit.
- Car Ferry, Material Service, Rotarian, Mystery Wreck.
- Sign up if you have suggestions
- Some wrecks in progress
- Dive Coordinators - Michael Angelo Gagliardi and Ruth Magnus
- Michael e-mails his reports to
, as he cannot make meetings.
- Ruth discussed possible places to go dive:
- Windy City - May 15 and June 5
- June 6 - SCUBA Divers Flea Market at Haigh Quarry, Sunday
- Dale Bennett Enterprises - June 19 and July 10
- 4 to 6 divers on charters.
- Flotilla Dive Day with Boat Owners
- Wednesday Fireworks nights
- Door County - Aug 7 to 14
- Go watch the Tall Ships
- Environmental Dives
- Sept 18th is National Beach Cleanup Day
- Steve Arnam cleans Montrose Beach every year, as a non-diving event.
- Project Aware
- Pumpkin Carving - see above
- Meremet Springs ? Camping at Fort ???
- DiveHeart Liason - Gene Hasiak
- DiveHeart was featured on CNN
- Raffle tickets -
- April 18th event in Downers Grove
- OWU, Chicago Maritime Festival, and Ghost Ships were all great. Lots of interest, very busy, 25? new members.
- UASC DVD well received and Don Doherty stepped in with a last minute presentation that was excellent.
- Gene - Maritime Fest, we did the intro to U/W archaeology. Invited by U of MI to do a presentation at Munising.
- Cris - Beneath The Sea - Joan inducted into Women Divers Hall of Fame. Wetsuits played. Cris showed a video.
- Policeman offered a building for use on the Chicago Lakefront, two blocks east of Wrigley Field.
- Chicgo Fire Museum having their open house. They pay $1 per month to the city.
- Thanks to Dean Nolan, John Bell, Scott Reimer, Bill Messner, Mark Niewoehner, Dan Kasberger, Todd Hitzeman, Eileen Gustafson, Tony Kiefer, Bob Rushman, Chet Childs, Delphine Pontvieux, Mike Brutlag, Ruth Magnus, Don Doherty, John Gerty, Beth Plotner, Jeff Rouse, and everyone else who helped set up, man, and/or take down the booth at OWU.
- Record attendance numbers at show, film festivals, shipwreck room.
- We sold 16 new individual + 2 family memberships, plus renewals plus 11 non-member DVDs.
- Explore Chicago Shipwrecks presentation had over 120 in attendance.
- $1400 plus collected.
- Jim Jarecki showed up with name badges, and shirts - Thank You Jim.
- Thanks to Chet for organizing with Jim to deliver the shirts.
- Some UASC shirts available, for members only.
- The Wetsuits played to a standing ovation at OWU.
- Cris Kohl, Michel Gilbert, Paul Cater Deaton, Jonathan Bird, Michael Lawrence, and Wes Skiles
- The Wetettes sang backup: Joan Forsberg, Nancy McGee, Annie Crawley, Pat Stayer, Lynn Funkhouser, and others.
- ICSSD U/W Competition April 11 - See Above
- NAS - Mark Holley Traverse City would like to give the course in Chicago, full weekend, all day. $250 / person. We provide food and lodging. Earns NAS 1 Certificate. Certified U/W archaeologist for participation in U/W projects w/o degree course. There exist 4 courses. Late May, early June. Sign up sheet for _interest_ - select preferred weekends. Requires minimum of 10 people. Right now there is no one licensed to do this in Chicago, so Mark can come here. There exists someone licensed in Milwaukee. This will improve our survey quality. NAS 2 involves underwater, NAS 3 and 4 are more intense, including 12-week on-site training.
- Bucaneer - Bob Rushman - Sitting on the bottom again. Need to pump it out. Need to schedule some work days and an end date.
- Hank - EPA has sent a letter stating the vessel is clean. IL Historical Preservation Society questioned whether it was too important to sink, but they were assured that the sister ship is still afloat.. Corps of Engineers and DNR have been notified that EPA has approved the project. Labor is arranged for concrete filling. We need to do some more wipe down. Some dumpster needs. Hope to sink by the end of May.
- Social Coordinator - We need someone to coordinate and plan social gatherings, other than diving.
- Steve Arnam volunteered, if he has help.
- Delphine's new book - Estimated Time of Arrest - A thriller involving a Basque separatist falsely accused of being a terrorist. On its way to Borders and Barnes & Noble. $20.
- Don Doherty - Tool Crib Disaster presentation was given for the Ridge Historical Society, Chapel of Mount Greenwood cemetary where 47 of the victims are buried. $150 stipend plus 4 DVD sales and a gift certificate. Tony Kiefer did the work of presenting, with help from Dean Nolan and John & Ruth Loftus.
- Bill Messner - Pony Pak - NOAA is interested, plus LOTS of other interest. Lots of buzz.
- Survey Projects 2010 – Buccaneer, Material Service, and Rotarian - See below
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger Refreshments coordinator.
- Pot Luck - February
- Mike Brutlag - March
- Ruth Magnus - April
- Joan Forsberg - October
- Todd Hitzeman - November
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Mark Niewhoner - STARZ program for at-risk youth. Mark & Dean working with Elgin, Chicago groups. Fundraiser - Rogest print 13 x 19, $15 donation minimum.
- Tom Chemlir - Chem E student interested in ROV with side scan sonar, to size of basketball, 2-3 knots. build quickly. Order of $1500, depending on quality of sonar sensors, etc. Hank, Pete - R4 Cable would cost more than the ROV.
- THANKS to Mike Brutlag and Ruth Magnus for tonight’s Pot Luck refreshments!
- Jim Jarecki would like to make presentations at schools
NEXT MEETING: Wednesday April 28, 2010 - ???
Refreshments to be provided by Ruth Magnus and Mike Brutlag
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2010 in ??’ - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Awaiting on final approvals. Then last minute cleaning, concreting, and a quick sinking.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker -- Paul Cater Deter -- The Wreck of the RMS Rhone
Paul is an underwater and above water filmmaker, director, writer, performer, speaker, and musician. A member of Texas Film Professionals and the Boston Sea Rovers, this world traveler lives in the U.S. Virgin Islands. His work has been seen on MTB, HBO, VH1, Showtime,warner Bros. Paramount, Tri-Star, Travel Channel, E!Entertainment TV, Bravo, the U.N. and Google Earth. He is a lead vocalist for the famous underwater photographer's band, the Wetsuits. Paul gave an excellent presentation on the RMS Rhone in the BVI, and presented the LST 467 for an encore..
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.