Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 30 June 2010
- Approximately 25 members and 3 guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by John Gerty with help from John Bell.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer. Current rosters only include members whose dues are current for 2010.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Contact Bob for further details
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- July 25 - Jim Haigh Memorial at Haigh Quarry
- Sept 18 - International Beach Clean Up Day
- Oct 3 - Pumpkin Carving at Haigh Quarry.
- Tritons hosting.
- Hot dogs and hamburgers.
- Prizes and awards.
- Oct 16 - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Sawas Old Warsaw in Broadview, ( Cermak and 17th )
- 6-7 Cocktails, 7-9 Dinner
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl is out of town
- Cris getting caught up.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Survey Coordinator - John Gerty
- Video going for the Flora Hill and the Car Ferry #2, to extract frames for mosaic production.
- John has Claire Yashar's drawings to produce slates of the Buccaneer.
- Still planning to do the sector scan sonar.
- Dive Coordinators - Michael Angelo Gagliardi:.
- 2 Dives chartered each with Windy City and Dale Bennet.
- Windy City - Aug 18th Flora Hill and Fireworks Dive.
- Cross tapes have been set on the Flora Hill and video tapes have been made of two quadrants for
- Dale Bennett Enterprises - July 10 probably The Wisconsin, 4/6 divers signed up.
- Charters are posted on the UASC Google calendar.
- Door County Chez Magnus- Aug 7 to 11
- Floatilla being planned for this summer. Boat owners please coordinate with Ruth and Mike.
- DiveHeart Liason - Gene Hasiak:
- Last Saturday Scuba Emporium hosted a group of Shriners in wheelchairs in pool. Planning a trip for the end of July.
- Yesterday in Naperville had 8 or more helpers and a lot of people in the pool.
- July 11 Picnic at Haigh Quarry.
- Camp Program for U of MI Maritime Fest - Gene and Diane will be making a presentation.
- June 16th - L.R. Doty discovered by Brendon Baillod and others, in 300 feet of Wisconsin waters..
- Joan Forsberg was interviewed by CBS 2 for this story.
- Member Recognition
- 40 pages!
- Shows - Loftuses, Bob Gadbois, Dean Nolan, John Bell, Bill Messner, Eileen G. John Gerty, Todd, Brutlag, Childs, Doherty, Rushman, Delphine, Tony Kiefer, Dan Kasberger, Mark Niewohner, Jeff Rouse, and others.
- U/W Competition - Mike Brutlag ( Captain ), Hank Fiene, Cris Kohl, Delphine Pontvieux, Dan Kasberger.
- Dive Planning - see above. Get your ideas and wishes to Ruth or Michael Angelo.
- Washington Island Trip - August 7 to 11
- Speakers needed for upcoming meetings.
- Technology Committee has been formed to evaluate a number of issues, composed of Past Presidents and a few others with technological expertise. ( e.g. Hank Fiene and Bob Rushman )
- Considering purchasing a Humminbird side-scan sonar unit similar to Jim Gentile's on the R/V Aquatica.
- Tom Chemir is interested in building an ROV.
- Dave Thompson and Brian Abbot of Nautilus Marine Group have offered to come and do sector side scans of our wrecks.
- Schedule to be determined.
- Survey Projects 2010 – Buccaneer, Material Service, and Rotarian - See below
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger Refreshments coordinator.
- Thanks to John Gerty and John Bell for tongiht's refreshments
- Don Doherty - July
- Joan Forsberg - October
- Todd Hitzeman - November
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Zion subchaser. Some dives have been done on it, and there is some current interest.
NEXT MEETING: Wednesday July 28, 2010 - Bob Gadbois to speak on the Tym Barge.
Refreshments to be provided by Don Doherty
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - SUNK! jUNE 18, 2010 - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Tonight's presentation includes video of the sinking and underwater footage.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker -- The Buccaneer is Sunk!!
- Pictures and Videos of the cleaning, sinking, and underwater footage were presented by Joan Forsberg, John Bell, and others.
- Joan presented certificates of appreciation to Hank Fiene ( Leadership ), Mark Niewohner, Bob & Claire Gadbois, Tony Kiefer, Don Doherty, Bob Mueller, Eilleen Gustafson, Todd Hitzman, John & Ruth Loftus, Chet Childs, Claire Yashar, John Bell, John Gerty, Dean Nolan, Cris Kohl, Joan Forsberg Scott Reimer, and Bob Rushman. Other than Hank, names are roughly in order of increasing time spent on the Buc, with Bob Rushman having 36 days.
- Bob Rushman received two nice gifts of appreciation:
- A trophy fashioned from one of the valves taken off the Buc by John Gerty.
- A very nice picture of the Buc from Jim Gentile.
- Hank Fiene gave a very nice thank you speech to all of the people who worked on the Buc. This included over 100 people who together put in over 400 days and $100,000 worth of contributions and time.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.