Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 28 July 2010
- Approximately 35 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- UASC Welcomes new members Fiona Josephine Bell and Bill Schlichting.
- Mr. and Mrs. Leo Skinner - Donated an underwater video camera system to UASC
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Don Doherty.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer. Current rosters only include members whose dues are current for 2010.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Contact Bob for further details
- $100 Thank You from Tim Early Foundation
- 2 new members - Bob Schlicting
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- July 25 - Jim Haigh Memorial at Haigh Quarry
- Sept 18 - International Beach Clean Up Day
- Oct 3 - Pumpkin Carving at Haigh Quarry.
- Tritons hosting.
- Pumpkins provided
- Hot dogs and hamburgers.
- Prizes and awards.
- Oct 16 - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Sawa's Old Warsaw in Broadview, ( Cermak and 17th )
- 6-7 Cocktails, 7-9 Dinner
- Awards applications due at September ICSSD meeting.
- Bring Toys for Tots to the Dinner.
- More dive flag brochures being distributed.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl is out of town
- Cris getting caught up.
- 25 Color PDF newsletters have been provided to John Bell, dated 2002 to 2009, and will be posted soon.
- John will look into making online newletters searchable.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Survey Coordinator - John Gerty
- John working on a slate for the Buccaneer
- Still planning to do the sector scan sonar.
- Dive Coordinators - Michael Angelo Gagliardi:.
- Windy City - Aug 18th Flora Hill and Fireworks Dive.
- Cross tapes have been set on the Flora Hill and video tapes have been made of 1.5 quadrants for compositing.
- Charters are posted on the UASC Google calendar.
- Door County Chez Magnus- Aug 7 to 11
- Floatilla being planned for this summer. Boat owners please coordinate with Ruth and Mike.
- DiveHeart Liason - Joan Forsberg for Gene Hasiak:
- Gene and Diane are near Munising doing a presentation of the Shipwreck Detective children's activity.
- Dan Kasberger - The Chicago Maritime Society ( 6th Floor ) would be interested in a presentation / display put together by UASC, on the subject of what we do and how we do it ( survey & research, etc. ) This would also be presented at the Chicago Maritime Festival. Dan would like to work on this with Don Doherty and Bob Gadbois.
- Lake Huron and Lake Erie video short from Cris Kohl
- The Wexford in Lake Huron
- The Clarion in Lake Erie
- The Dominion in Lake Erie
- Sad news about Wes Skiles, famous cave diver & u/w videographer.
- Passed away on a dive for National Geographic, in about 75 feet of water at age 53.
- Women Divers Hall of Fame have links to his work and other info.
- Lady Elgin 150th anniversary
- Valerie Van Heest is promoting a book that she wrote about it.
- Dive planning for this year – email your ideas to Ruth or Michael Angelo.
- Washington Island dive/sightseeing /camping trip
- August 7 to 11. ( Approximately. )
- Chez Magnus in Door County.
- Ruth has 2 boats, John Bell bringing a boat, two friends on the island providing boats.
- Air available on the island. Ruth and Mike have tanks and some other gear.
- Last ferry on Friday approximately 10:00 P.M. First on Saturday approximately 6:30 A.M. ( Check on web. )
- Lots of non-diving activities available.
- Attendees - John Bell, Ruth Magnus, Mike Brutlag, Scott Reimer, Jeff Rouse, Bill Messner?, Dean Nolan, ( Delphine Pontvieux Monday? ), Chet Childs? Adrianne? Gene Hasiak? Diane Gulczinski?
- Ideas for speakers
- Technology Committee has been formed to evaluate a number of issues, composed of Past Presidents and a few others with technological expertise. ( e.g. Hank Fiene and Bob Rushman )
- Considering purchasing a Humminbird side-scan sonar unit similar to Jim Gentile's on the R/V Aquatica.
- Tom Chemir is interested in building an ROV.
- Dave Thompson and Brian Abbot of Nautilus Marine Group have offered to come and do sector side scans of our wrecks.
- Schedule to be determined.
- Survey Projects 2010 – Buccaneer, Material Service, Flora Hill, Barge #2 and Rotarian - See Below
- Jim Jarecki report by Joan Forsberg
- September is Archaeology Awareness Month.
- Jim will be giving several talks, and urges UASC to make additional presentations to local libraries and other venues to leverage this event.
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger Refreshments coordinator.
- Thanks to Don Doherty for tonight's refreshments
- Joan Forsberg - October
- Todd Hitzeman - November
NEXT MEETING: Wednesday August 25, 2010 - Josh Ellis - Waterway Issues and Invasive Species.
Refreshments to be provided by Pot Luck
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - SUNK! JUNE 18, 2010 - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Tonight's presentation includes video of the sinking and underwater footage.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker -- Bob Gadbois
- Shipwrecks of Whitefish Point
- Mystery Object in the Turning Basin: A Tale of Failed Dreams
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.