Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 27 January 2010
- Approximately 20 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Guest: Nat, whose undergraduate major was underwater archaeology. :-)
- Guest Tom.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Bob and Claire Gadbois.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Members e-mail list has been updated to remove unpaid members.
- Membership – Rosters were unavailable this evening because Scott couln't make the meeting.. Non-paid members have been removed.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Funds dispersed for show booth costs.
- Dues coming in for 2010
- Contact Bob for further information.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Club Appreciation Night - 3rd Thurs in February, the 18th, just before OWU
- Free Pizza and Pop
- Beach party - HI shirts, etc.
- Mr. Beef & Pizza, Mt. Prospect.
- Suggestions for President's Night location, & planning directions.
- U/W Competition - march 14
- July 25 - Jim Haigh Memorial
- ??? - Pumpkin Carving
- Looking for volunteers for the ICSSD Booth at OWU.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl
- The schedule will be adjusted due to time conflicts.
- One 1-page newsletter per month, w/o advertising, sent electronically.
- NEED contributions from others - Cris can't do it all.
- July/August and September/October newsletters sent electronically IN COLOR to all members.
- Also posted on the web site.
- Hard copies still available upon request.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Survey Coordinator - John Gerty
- A number of long-running surveys need to be wrapped up and delivered.
- To take advantage of recent NAS training by several of our members.
- Provide suggestions for ships to be scanned via sector-scan sonar.
- Dive Coordinators - Michael Angelo Gagliardi and Ruth Magnus
- Michael e-mails his reports to
, as he cannot make meetings.
- DiveHeart Liason - Gene Hasiak
- Nine blind divers went to Cozumel for a week.
- Ghost Ships - 3 hour pool time for disabled to discover scuba.
- Offer to teach diver recovery.
- Ruth Magnus getting trained by DiveHeart Feb 6 & 7 for Buddy diving. Spots open.
- Joan Forsberg to be inducted into the Women Divers Hall of Fame, WDHOF
- John Chatterton, Joe Porter, Patrick Hammer, and many others wrote incredibly wonderful letters of support
- Upcoming shows – Our World – Underwater (Feb. 19-21), Chicago Maritime Festival (Feb. 27), Ghost Ships (Mar. 5-6) -- staffing the booth and premiums
- Dean Nolan is in charge of getting people to staff the booths.
- PLEASE sign up for a 2-hour shift in the booth.
- 40th Anniversary for Our World Underwater !
- Leigh Bishop makes a first appearance.
- Cris & Joan putting together a book on the first 40 years of OWU !
- DVD offered as a premium this year
- The WetSuits - Rock Band with Cris Kohl as keyboardist will perform Friday and Saturday night.
- Joan and Annie Crawley singing backup.
- The Decompression Stop will be back this year on Saturday night.
- Shipwreck Exploration again at Chicago Maritime Festival
- Speaker planning for this year – possible Feb. meeting change
- Dave Trotter as speaker, on Monday the day after OWU.
- Social Coordinator - We need someone to coordinate and plan social gatherings, other than diving.
- Maritime Trails Committee
- Joan Forsberg
- Howard Openlander
- Chet Childs
- Dive planning for this year - Ruth Magnus
- Wreck Dives
- Educational Dives
- Let Ruth know if you have any great ideas.
- “Explore Chicago Shipwrecks” DVD and now presentation length
- 30 Minute version to be presented at OWU, Maritime Festival, & Beneath the Sea
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger Refreshments coordinator.
- Pot Luck - February
- Mike Brutlag - March
- Ruth Magnus - April
- Joan Forsberg - October
- Todd Hitzeman - November
- Buccaneer update - Bob Rushman absent tonight.
- Name badges - John Gerty - Sign up if you want one, $13 each
- Polo shirts - Chet and Jim working on shirts before OWU.
- CPR class - Chet Childs and Sam Frank trying to work out a date. - 2.5 to 4 hours
- PonyPak update
- U.S. Divers and Dive Rite both interested
- Survey Projects 2010 – Buccaneer, Material Service, and Rotarian
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- THANKS to Bob and Claire Gadbois for tonight’s refreshments!
NEXT MEETING: Special Date - Mon, Feb. 22 2010 - To accomodate a very special guest speaker, David Trotter.
Refreshments are Pot Luck
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2010 in ??’ - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Claire Yashar has completed her drawings.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker -- Chet Childs - DAN O2 Provider Course / Maladies.
Chet Childs gave an excellent presentation on the importance and proper use of DAN O2 Kits
- DAN has further information on O2 on the 2008 Technical Diving web site..
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.