Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 25 August 2010
- Approximately 25 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- UASC Welcomes new members Sarantis O. Alexopoulos and Chris McKenna
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Pot Luck.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer. Current rosters only include members whose dues are current for 2010.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Paid Windy City Diving, P.O. Box
- Larry Boucha bought an ad in the newsletter
- Contact Bob for further details
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Scott Reimer new delegate.
- Sept 18 - International Beach Clean Up Day
- Blackwell Forest Preserve, thanks to Pat Hammer providing insurance.
- Free food and drink. ( Burgers, dogs, soda )
- Divers must have floats and flags, C-cards, all equipment.
- Oct 3 - Pumpkin Carving at Haigh Quarry.
- Tritons hosting.
- Pumpkins provided
- Hot dogs and hamburgers.
- Prizes and awards.
- Oct 16 - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Sawa's Old Warsaw in Broadview, ( Cermak and 17th )
- 6-7 Cocktails, 7-9 Dinner - All you can eat Polish buffet.
- $23, tickets available from Claire Gadbois.
- Awards applications due at September ICSSD meeting.
- Bring Toys for Tots to the Dinner. Non-violent unwrapped toys. No stuffed toys this year.
- More dive flag brochures being distributed.
- Possible new dive quarry - Crystal Lake's Vulcan Quarry.
- Rainforest Cafe in Woodfield is looking for divers to clean tanks, $9 / hr, hookah,
- Sept 19th at 1 P.M. joint meeting with LOUP - Nudibranch expert Dr. Terrence Gosliner
- DiveHeart - 5th annual golf outing Friday Sept 24th, $125 golf & dinner, $25 dinner only, $100 sponsor.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl is out of town
- Cris getting caught up.
- 25 Color PDF newsletters have been provided to John Bell, dated 2002 to 2009, and will be posted soon.
- John will look into making online newletters searchable.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Survey Coordinator - John Gerty
- John working on a slate for the Buccaneer
- Still planning to do the sector scan sonar.
- Dive Coordinators - Michael Angelo Gagliardi:.
- Windy City - Aug 18th Flora Hill and Fireworks Dive.
- Steve Arnam, Bill Messner, Jeff Rouse, Delphine Pontvieux dove and recorded data.
- Nearly complete with photographic of four quadrants.
- Making measurements of points of interest.
- Nice sunsets between the two dives.
- More opportunities will be arranged.
- Site is broken up ( dynamited ), with lots of interesting pieces.
- Charters are posted on the UASC Google calendar.
- Floatilla being planned for this summer. Boat owners please coordinate with Ruth and Mike.
- DiveHeart Liason - Joan Forsberg for Gene Hasiak:
- Gene and Diane went to Munising to do the the Shipwreck Detective children's activity for U MI land of Lake Superior weekend.
- Lots of Discover SCUBA sessions for disabled and others.
- 2 weeks ago did a presentation at ???
- Trips to Bonaire and other destinations.
- Washington Island Chez Magnus
- 6 Divers - Ruth Magnus, Mike Brutlag, John Bell, Scott Reimer, Dean Nolan, ( Karen Nolan ), Jeff Rouse
- E.R. Williams, Louisiana, Summer Island wrecks, Pilot Island wrecks, search for C. C. Hand.
- Tall Ships Chicago THIS WEEKEND on Navy Pier
- ICSSD President's Night Oct 16th.
- Nominations for Diver of the Year and Humanitarian of the Year are needed this week.
- If you have done any presentations or other outreach activities please notify Joan.
- Ideas for speakers - September and October ?
- Survey Projects 2010 – Buccaneer, Material Service, Flora Hill, Barge #2 and Rotarian - See Below
- John Gerty making drawings of the Buc from Claire Yashar's measurements.
- John also got an electronic survey instrument.
- John Loftus and John Gerty have done multiple survey dives on the Car Ferry #2.
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
- Nominating Committee for new board - Don Doherty, Cris Kohl, Joan Forsberg, Jim Jarecki
- Slate to be presented at the October meeting and voted on in November.
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger Refreshments coordinator.
- Joan Forsberg - October
- Todd Hitzeman - November
NEXT MEETING: Wednesday September 29, 2010 - Speaker TBD
Refreshments to be provided by TBD
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - SUNK! JUNE 18, 2010 - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Tonight's presentation includes video of the sinking and underwater footage.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker -- Josh Ellis, Project Manager, Metropolitan Planning Council
- Since late 2009 Asian carp and the possibility of closing the navigation locks into Lake Michigan have dominated the newspapers. What has been largely missing from these discussions is a longer-term look at the Chicago Area Waterway System to consider what kind of system overhaul might be necessary to support the region’s economic and environmental goals, while also ending the threat of invasive species transfer between the Great Lakes and Mississippi River. Josh manages MPC’s water resources protection initiatives, co-authored “Before the Wells Run Dry” and now works with state, regional and local leaders on strategies to sustainably manage Illinois’ finite water resources.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.