Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 28 April 2010
- Approximately 30 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- New members and guests: Chris McKenna, Jane, Adrienne,
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Ruth Magnus.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Rosters were provided by Scott Reimer. Current rosters only include members whose dues are current for 2010.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Lots of activity this month - Dues trickling in, finances improving.
- Contact Bob for further details
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- UASC took first place in the Underwater Competition!
- UASC - Mike Brutlag team Captain, Cris, Joan, Dan, Hank, Delphine,
- ICSSD held a showing of the movie "The Cove" about mistreatment of dolphins in Japan, at Helix probably on March 13th. A second showing is being planned, to be given further advance notice. May 15th at 6:00 on the 8th floor of the Helix building.
- July 25 - Jim Haigh Memorial
- Sept 18 - International Beach Clean Up Day
- Blackwell Forest Preserve in Warrenville. We need a dive shop to put up their insurance.
- Oct 3 - Pumpkin Carving at Haigh Quarry.
- Tritons hosting.
- Hot dogs and hamburgers.
- Prizes and awards.
- Oct 16 - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Location and cost TBD. ( Old Warsaw in Broadville ??? )
- Coast Guard may be rearranging their stations.
- This would mean over an hour response time to this area of the lake, ( as compared to 17 minutes now from Waukegan. )
- ICSSD gearing up to petition against the proposed change.
- Republican Congressman Mark Kirk from Highland Park is appealing to keep the Coast Guard here.
- Nov 9 - Board Budget Meeting
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl
- Cris getting caught up.
- Rough draft handed out tonight. Color version will be sent out electronically.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Survey Coordinator - John Gerty
- Need list of wrecks to scan with sector scan unit.
- Car Ferry, Material Service, Rotarian, Mystery Wreck.
- Sign up if you have suggestions
- Some wrecks in progress
- NAS course is progressing, see below.
- Dive Coordinators - Michael Angelo Gagliardi and Ruth Magnus
- Michael was able to make tonight's meeting.
- 2 Dives chartered each with Windy City and Dale Bennet.
- Windy City - May 15 and June 5
- Dale Bennett Enterprises - June 19 and July 10
- Ruth Magnus:
- Charters are posted on the UASC Google calendar.
- June 6 - SCUBA Divers Flea Market at Haigh Quarry, Sunday
- 4 to 6 divers on charters.
- Flotilla Dive Day with Boat Owners
- Wednesday Fireworks nights
- Door County Chez Magnus- Aug 7 to ??
- Go watch the Tall Ships
- Environmental Dives
- Sept 18th is National Beach Cleanup Day
- Steve Arnam cleans Montrose Beach every year, as a non-diving event.
- Project Aware
- Pumpkin Carving - see above
- Meremet Springs ? Camping ?
- DiveHeart Liason - Gene Hasiak
- Fundraiser was last week.
- Raffle tickets - Chris McKenna won.
- Lots of activity, training going on.
- UASC WON the ICSSD Underwater Competition!
- MikeBrutlag was Team Captain, Cris Kohl, Dan Kasberger, Delphine Pontvieus, and Hank Fiene competed, Joan cheered.
- Technology Committee has been formed to evaluate a number of issues, composed of Past Presidents and a few others with technological expertise. ( Hank Fiene and Bob Rushman )
- Considering purchasing a Humminbird side-scan sonar unit similar to Jim Gentile's on the R/V Aquatica.
- Tom Chemir is interested in building an ROV.
- Dave Thompson and Brian Abbot of Nautilus Marine Group have offered to come and do sector side scans of our wrecks.
- Schedule to be determined.
- Hank Fiene offered up the Oasis, for both a working platform and for lodging.
- NAS Course
- May 22-23 at UIC - See map and directions
- Excellent Course !
- Nautical Archaelolgical Society, based in England, one of the few organizations that certifies amateurs.
- $250 to Mark Holley, includes a paper copy of the textbook.
- Test on Sunday. Need 70 to 80% to pass.
- Buc - Hank Fiene
- IL Historical Preservation Society has determined that it may be sunk.
- Currently not floating. Can't be pumped until next week because pumps are not available.
- Only waiting for one letter, a permit decision.
- Saturday's work day may or may not happen. ( If it does, it will be deck work only. )
- Dive Planning - see above.
- Pony Pak - Bill Messner
- Lot's of positive response - Guardian, U.S. Divers, others.
- CSM, Ray Mazziola of Chicago Police Department, had Bill meet with the entire dive group for over two hours. They will all be testing it out in the pool soon, and bringing in the Fire Department to join them.
- Working with Patrick Hammer to find the right corporate partner. Production can commence as soon as that happens.
- Survey Projects 2010 – Buccaneer, Material Service, and Rotarian - See below
- Looking for entries for the ??? award. - See Joan for the information.
- Kathy Braun - professional videographer. Her father just passed away. Our thoughts are with her.
- Swedish Museum in Andersonville will be having a presentation about a shipwreck. Gene Hasiak looking into details.
- Chet has UASC Polo Shirts.
- Sign up for meeting refreshments - Dan Kasberger Refreshments coordinator.
- Thanks to Ruth Magnus for tongiht's refreshments
- Joan Forsberg - October
- Todd Hitzeman - November
- OTHER: Miscellaneous new business items should be brought up – briefly – now.
NEXT MEETING: Wednesday May 26, 2010 - Don Doherty to talk about the Underwater Forest.
Refreshments to be provided by ??
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2010 in ??’ - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Awaiting on final approvals. Then last minute cleaning, concreting, and a quick sinking.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker -- Joyce Markstahler
Joyce founded Our World Underwater. "Crow's Nest Below" - A short film about the Alvin Clark, based on 16 mm film, from 1967 / 1968. Chicago Tribune Magazine, Oct 13 1968 / Section 7, "Leap into an Icy Past", by Johce Markstahler Bob Gadbois followed up with a modern video of the Alvin Clark.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.