Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 30 September 2009
- Approximately 25 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Guests and members of the Chicago Maritime Society.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Dean and Karen Nolan.
- UASC mourns the loss of Joyce Hayward, who passed away early this morning.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – August rosters were available. Non-paid members will be removed.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Dues are VERY past due ! Please get checks and ( updated ) info to Bob.
- Very little recent activity.
- Contact Bob for further information.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Sept 19 - International Beach Clean Up
- Haigh Quarry Zebra Mussel Roundup
- Several UASC members participated, and took the top 5 prizes. ( Cris Kohl top prize. )
- Burnham Harbor had 80 - 95 divers.
- Ruth Magnus arranged a third event.
- Oct 4 - Underwater Pumpkin Carving Dive at Haigh Quarry
- NOVEMBER 14th NEW DATE - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Burnham Yacht Club, same venue as the Xmas party.
- $32.00 - down from 42 last year.
- Chicken Marsala, Grilled Salmon, or Pasta Primavera.
- EXCELLENT Raffle!!!
- Credit Cards required for the cash bar.
- Cocktails at 6:00, Dinner at 7:00
- Bring a new unwrapped non-violent toy for Toys for Tots.
- Nov 3 - ICSSD Budget Meeting
- New Slate of Officers:
- Margo Miller - President
- Vice President -Chuck Miller
- Dean Nolan - Executive Vice President
- Bob Gadbois - Secretary
- Claire Gadbois - Treasurer
- Kevin Vaughn - Delegate
- Ongoing project for dive safety - In process of updating Z-folders for boaters.
- Nominations needed for Diver of the Year, Humanitarian of the Year, and Club of the Year.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl
- July/August issue was passed out at tonight's meeting.
- Copies will be mailed to those who were not present tonight.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Dive Coordinator - Michael Angelo Gagliardi
- Michael e-mails his reports to
, as he cannot make meetings.
- Washington Island trip chez Magnus was FANTASTIC!!!
- Approximately 20 UASC members and friends attended.
- Five dive boats carried 18 to 20 divers to wonderful dive sites.
- Thank yous to our hosts, and all those who brought dive boats.
- Buccaneer - Hank Fiene
- Paperwork filed
- Expect an inspection in the next 30 days.
- Please direct all questions from the media to Jim Gentile.
- One week left of comment period on public notice - No objections so far as far as we know.
- Pumping out of last dregs.
- UASC’s new Chicago shipwrecks DVD
- Joan has shipped a few for which we received orders
- $15 for the public, $12 for members
- 40% discount available to anyone who buys 10 or more. ( $9 each. )
- UASC's Survey Reports for Wells Burt, Sea Bird, and David Dows available.
- Tentative Club Dives:
- On a Wed. eve, anchor over the wreck of the Flora M. Hill, dive there, and watch fireworks from Jim Gentile’s boat (a fun dive)
- UASC Polo shirts - Chet Childs will be taking over this project - Contact Joan if you ordered a shirt.
- John Gerty will be looking into getting more / new nametags.
- DiveHeart / UASC Project - survey dive.
- Return to the Tacoma to see how it has changed since the last survey?
- Gene Hasiak is our new coordinator with DiveHeart.
- Diveheart has training programs every month for dive buddies, including training trips.
- Looking for boats on which to take out disabled divers.
- There is a new e-mail group for UASC members interested in helping DiveHeart - Contact John Bell to get added.
- Need a dive boat big enough to handle a disabled diver, two assistants, and some UASC members.
- DiveHeart Luau is next month.
- NAS Course
- Wayne Lesardi ( sp? ) would teach us the course at ( no ) cost IF he had time in his schedule.
- Mark Holly could also teach the course, 1st weekend in Nov ( 7th & 8th ), $225 / person, Traverse City, MI
- Manuals $45 to $65 depending on source.
- Associated Banquet - contact Cris Kohl for full details.
- SURVEY PROJECTS 2009: Surveys/Drawings to be completed; detailed reports to be written:
- See below for further details.
- Ruth Magnus - Zebra Mussel Remediation.
- Our World Underwater - Speaker requests submitted for UASC Presentations:
- Explore Chicago Shipwrecks, based on the DVD
- Booze, Bullets, and the Buccaneer
- Nancy Boucha has an article in Midwest Dive News regarding local diving, with recommendation to join UASC.
- Dan Kasberger - Vote to back the bid online. This is an opportunity to promote Chicago diving & shipwrecks.
- Festivities at Daley Center Friday morning.
- Two Birthdays - Gene Hasiak and Dan Kasberger :-)
- THANKS to Dan Kasberger ( Refreshments Coordinator ) and everyone who brought tonight’s refreshments.
- NEXT UASC MEETING: 6:30 PM, Wednesday, October 28, 2009.
- Speaker will be Kimm Stabelfeldt from the Ghost Ships Festival in Milwaukee
- Refreshments will be provided by Delphine Pontvieux
- Refreshment coordinator for 2009 is Dan Kasberger.
- ( Cow ) costumes are highly encouraged.
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2009 in ??’ - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker - ALL UASC Members
Tonight was a Pot Luck presentation night by all members on "What I did with My Summer 2009" Presenters included:
- John Bell - Various local and travel dives
- Bill Messner - Video of the Rotarian
- Bob and Claire Gadbois - Images from the northern Great lakes.
- John Gerty - Images from Door County and other trips.
- Tony Kiefer - Pictures from the mid east and the Mac.
- Cris Kohl and Joan Forsberg - video from Door County Washington Island trip and several other wrecks.
- The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.