Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 28 October 2009
- Approximately 25 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Delphine Pontvieux.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Members e-mail list is being updated. Unpaid "members" will be removed soon.
- Membership – August rosters were available. Non-paid members will be removed.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Dues are VERY past due ! Please get checks and ( updated ) info to Bob.
- Very little recent activity.
- Contact Bob for further information.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Oct 4 - Underwater Pumpkin Carving Dive at Haigh Quarry
- Bob and Claire got the "Most Creative Pumpkin" award.
- NOVEMBER 14th NEW DATE - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Two Grand Prizes ! !
- Burnham Park Yacht Club, same venue as the Xmas party.
- $32.00 - down from 42 last year.
- Chicken Marsala, Grilled Salmon, or Pasta Primavera.
- EXCELLENT Raffle!!!
- Credit Cards required for the cash bar.
- Cocktails at 6:00, Dinner at 7:00
- Bring a new unwrapped non-violent toy for Toys for Tots.
- Nov 3 - ICSSD Budget Meeting
- Ongoing project for dive safety - In process of updating Z-folders for boaters.
- Joan submitted nominations needed for Diver of the Year, Humanitarian of the Year, and Club of the Year.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl
- July/August and September/October newsletters sent electronically IN COLOR to all members.
- Also posted on the web site.
- Hard copies still available upon request.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Dive Coordinator - Michael Angelo Gagliardi
- Michael e-mails his reports to
, as he cannot make meetings.
- Underwater Pumpkin Carving - see above.
- Cris and Joan made a UASC presentation at the Auxiliary Coast Guard on Saturday 10 October 2009.
- Buccaneer - Joan
- This Saturday is a work day, to add oil-dry to the bilge, to be encapsulated by cement later.
- Everybody please show up to help carry bags.
- Tim Early Foundation will be paying for the oil-dry.
- UASC’s new Chicago shipwrecks DVD
- Joan has shipped a few for which we received orders
- $15 for the public, $12 for members
- 40% discount available to anyone who buys 10 or more. ( $9 each. )
- UASC's Survey Reports for Wells Burt, Sea Bird, and David Dows available.
- Slate of Officers and Committee Heads proposed for next month's elections:
- Joan Forsberg, President
- Dean Nolan, Vice-President
- Bob Gadbois, Treasurer
- John Bell, Secretary
- Committee Heads:
- Cris Kohl, Newsletter
- Scott Reimer, Membership
- Dan Kasberger, Refreshments
- Michael Angelo, Dive Coordinator
- UASC Polo shirts - Chet Childs
- Chet is working with Jim Jarecki to complete the project.
- DiveHeart / UASC Project - .
- Gene Hasiak is our new coordinator with DiveHeart.
- Gene going to training for Diveheart
- He has been doing training in Lake Michigan, along with some military personnel.
- Diveheart has training programs every month for dive buddies, including training trips.
- Looking for boats on which to take out disabled divers.
- There is a new e-mail group for UASC members interested in helping DiveHeart - Contact John Bell to get added.
- NAS Course - Nautical Archaeology Society
- Intro & Part One, 1st weekend in Nov ( 7th & 8th ), $225 / person, Traverse City, MI
- Cris, Joan, and John Gerty are going to attend this course.
- Manuals $45 softcover, $65 hardcover, available on line.
- Associated Banquet - The 3rd Annual Underater Summit sponsored by The Grand Traverse Bay Underwater Preserve - contact Cris Kohl or follow the link for full details.
- SURVEY PROJECTS 2009: Surveys/Drawings to be completed; detailed reports to be written:
- Please send any material you have on The Material Service to Cris Kohl ASAP.
- See below for further details.
- Midwest Dive News - Nancy Boucha has an article and cover photo.
- UASC / LOUP Christmas Party, Dec 5th at the Burnham Park Yacht Club, $35, contact Scott Reimer to buy tickets.
- Delphine Pontvieux is writing an article on the Buc cleanup for a french language publication. Please contact her if you have any intersting stories.
- Dean Nolan - STARS, Scuba Training for At Risk Students
- Provides training and direction to youth who need it.
- A new chapter is being started up near United Center. Looking for volunteers, especially instructors, dive masters, fitness people.
- This is a weekly commitment. A few hours on a weekday evening.
- 18 month program spread out over two years. ( Two school years. )
- THANKS to Dan Kasberger ( Refreshments Coordinator ) and Delphine Pontvieux for tonight’s refreshments.
- NEXT UASC MEETING: 6:30 PM, Wednesday, November 18th, 2009. ( A week early to avoid Thanksgiving. )
- Speaker will be ???
- Refreshment coordinator for 2009 is Dan Kasberger. Refreshments for November will be provided by Cris and Joan.
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2009 in ??’ - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Claire Yashar has completed her drawings.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker - Kimm Stabelfeldt -- Ghost Ships Festival
Kimm Stabelfeldt holds one of the largest private collections of Great Lakes books and ephemera in Wisconsin and is the author of five popular Great Lakes dive guides. His work has been published in numerous periodicals and he holds membership in many Great Lakes maritime organizations. A certified Divemaster and Trimix diver, Kimm is the President of Adventure Diving, Inc. a Great Lakes shipwreck dive charter service, and a Director of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Research Foundation, Inc., which runs the annual Ghost Ships Festival in Milwaukee. He holds degrees in Business and Computer Science and is an executive with a computer software company.
- The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.