Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 25 March 2009
- Approximately 40 members met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Three new members and several guests attended tonight's meeting.
- One new member signed up at tonight's meeting. :-)
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Ruth Magnus and Mike Brutlag
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Scott Reimer is working on udating the membership lists.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Dues are past due ! Please get checks and ( updated ) info to Bob.
- Contact Bob for further information.
- P.O. Box was out of order, but is now reinstated.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Feb 19 - Club Appreciation Night
- March 29 - Underwater Competition
- Pavilion Pool Complex, 1000 Wellington Avenue, Elk Grove Village
- Arrive by 8:00, Events start at 9:00 a.m.
- John Bell will be captaining the UASC team.
- July 26 - Jim Haigh Memorial Dive at Haigh Quarry
- Sept 19 - International Beach Clean Up
- Oct 4 - Underwater Pumpkin Carving Dive at Haigh Quarry
- Oct 10 - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Nov 3 - ICSSD Budget Meeting
- UW Christmas Tree Decorating?
- July 20-26 a charity dive will be held to break the world record for the longest dive.
- DiveHeart support
- April 7 training for "Get a Vet Wet", 7 to 8 P.M. at Diveheart Headquarters.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl - New newsletter will be available for the next meeting..
- Chicago Maritime Festival was a big sucess.
- The UASC booth was very popular.
- The Shipwreck Detective project was well received and also very popular.
- Several UASC members gave presentations
- Ghost Ships Festival was also a great show.
- The booth garnered a few new memberships, and some book sales for Seawolf Communications.
- Many UASC members attended the show, and greatly enjoyed the presentations.
- Certificates of appreciation were awarded to Dean Nolan, John & Ruth Loftus, Bill Messner, Cris Kohl, Gene Hasiak, Diane Gulzinski, John Bell, Don Doherty, Ruth Magnus, Mike Brutlag, Dan Kasberger, Chet Childs, Roger Brown, Bob Gadbois
- Cris & Joan will be writing for the Midwest Dive News May issue.
- John Gerty reported that work is re-commencing on the buc. Water got into the ship, and oil has re-coated some surfaces ( not as bad as before. ) Some wiring and other materials were removed.
- Upcoming Shows
- “Mysteries and Histories Beneath the Inland Seas,”
- 7-9:30 PM, Sat., April 25, 2009
- Knickerbocker Theater, Holland, MI. $12.50 advance, $15.00 at the door.
- Feb. 19-21, 2010: The SPECIAL 40th “Our World -- Underwater” Show, Chicago, IL
- Feb. 27, 2010:
- =March 5-6, 2010 (Fri. & Sat.) -- 11th annual “Ghost Ships Festival,” Milwaukee, WI
- $10 savings to the 2010 show for new members to UASC
- $5 savings to the 2010 show for regular members.
- UASC shirts -- Jim Jarecki
- UASC’s new Chicago shipwrecks DVD -- Sales; New 2009 UASC Memberships
- Tentative Club Dives:
- George Morley shore dive & picnic -- Dean Nolan & Cheryl Wickstrom coordinators.
- Washington Island (Door Co.) -- Labor Day weekend -- Ruth Magnus, coordinator
- 10 Acres chez Magnus
- 14 divers showed hands of interest
- No air on the island, but tanks available in Chicago.
- Don Doherty arranging a trip back to Bonne Terre
- First or second weekend in May
- Dives to the Chicago wrecks of the Iowa and the Flora M. Hill (and others?)
- Mai Tai - Milwaukee area 37' luxury catamaran would like to come down and do a weekend charter.
- Boat price of $540 / 6 divers 2 tanks each.
- Would want to fill the boat Saturday and Sunday - Could be different divers.
- Diveheart Project
- Jim Elliot would like to take disabled divers to Chicago area shipwrecks.
- Jim should be a guest speaker at the May meeting.
- Dan Barret attended and spoke at tonight's meeting.
- Diveheart Military Wounded, DMW - Working with wounded veterans, particularly from Iraq.
- Weekend training for HSA, Handicap Scuba Association. Get certified to be a dive buddy or instructor for handicapped divers.
- April 7 Get a Vet Wet Meeting at Diveheart Headquarters.
- May 31st Spring into Summer fundraiser.
- Chicago “Maritime Trail” markers -- “Shipwrecks Off Lake Shore Drive” -- Cris Kohl & Joan Forsberg
- XRay online magazine
- Gene Hasiak arranged interviews with Peter
- Broadcast a radio show to the world from UASC ?
- Where should we go with this?
- SURVEY PROJECTS 2009: Surveys/Drawings to be completed; detailed reports to be written:
- Executive Decision: The Material Service report WILL be published this year.
- See Below
- UASC 20th Anniversary Celebrations
- George Morley Picnic and Dive
- If we get the Buc sunk this year, Hank Fiene will throw the party.
- Still looking for other good ideas.
- Roger Brown - Frank ?? who used to own the Chippewa is in the hospital and would like to receive visitors
- CPR - April 3rd at Chet Childs' house.
- Howard and Glen Openlander are leaving. :-( Tonight is their last meeting. Moving to Mesa AZ.
- THANKS to Dan Kasberger (Refreshments Coordinator) and Ruth Magnus and Mike Brutlag for tonight’s refreshments
- NEXT UASC MEETING: 6:30 PM, Wednesday, April 29, 2009.
- Speaker TBD
- Refreshment coordinator for 2009 is Dan Kasberger.
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2009 in ??’ - Project Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K.
- Photographers recently dove on the Material Service and collected info to complete the project.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
- The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.