Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 24 June 2009
- Approximately 40 to 50 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- 8 Guests, including 6 Members of a scout troup that regularly helps out DiveHeart
- Several members not often seen.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by John & Kat Bell.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Scott Reimer provided updated membership rosters.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Dues are past due ! Please get checks and ( updated ) info to Bob.
- Some new dues income and some recent expenditures.
- Contact Bob for further information.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Kevin Vaugn coordinating an underwater puzzle competition as a fundraiser for diabeters.
- July 26 - Jim Haigh Memorial Dive at Haigh Quarry
- Sept 19 - International Beach Clean Up
- Kevin Vaugn contacted DNR and got an enthusiastic response.
- Oct 4 - Underwater Pumpkin Carving Dive at Haigh Quarry
- CASA and Tritons hosting.
- Oct 10 - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Burnham Yacht Club, same venue as the Xmas party.
- Approximately $35.00
- Chicken Marsala, Grilled Salmon, or Pasta Primavera.
- EXCELLENT Raffle!!!
- Credit Cards required for the cash bar.
- Nov 3 - ICSSD Budget Meeting
- Ongoing project for dive safety - In process of updating Z-folders for boaters.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl
- The May/June newsletter will be mailed next week.
- March/April edition available tonight for anyone who didn't get one yet..
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Dive Coordinator - Michael Angelo Gagliardi
- Michael e-mails his reports to
, as he cannot make meetings.
- Putting out buoys - John Bell reported that a temporary marker and a centerline tape have been placed on the Car Ferry #2, with the help of Dean Nolan and Bill Messner.
- Survey dives to the Rotarian, June 15, 2009 - Cris Kohl
- Jeff Rouse, Michael Angelo Gagliardi, Dean Nolan, Joan forsberg and Cris Kohl dove.
- staked out a new centerline tape.
- Took lots of pictures and videos, the latter of which was shown at tonight's meeting.
- sidescan sonar, 76 feet deep.
- Returning Monday ( 1 spot open ), again on Jim Gentile's boat.
- George W. Morley shore dive & picnic - Cheryl Wickstrom, coordinator.
- Great picnic, but no diving, as the beaches were closed.
- Great tour of the Dawes Mansion.
- Certificate of appreciation awarded to Cheryl Wickstrom for organizing the picnic.
- Cris & Joan showed a video of the event.
- Buccaneer - Cris Kohl
- Cris showed a video of the last big cleanup day, with 13 workers.
- Bob Rushman is in the Bahamas at the moment. :-)
- Next workday scheduled for next Saturday, 9:00 to 2:00, run by Cris Kohl.
- Would like to get 10 workers.
- Wear old clothes, knee pads, eye protection, gloves, etc. & bring a lunch.
- Chicago Maritime Trail
- N.A.S. Course in Underwater Archaeology
- Chicago Maritime Society -- Call 312 665-7334 (Trigg Waller) for free membership
- UASC’s new Chicago shipwrecks DVD
- $15 for the public, $12 for members
- 40% discount available to anyone who buys 10 or more. ( $9 each. )
- Tentative Club Dives:
- June 29 -- Rotarian survey dive - 1 opening, photographer / videographer needed.
- On a Wed. eve, anchor over the wreck of the Flora M. Hill, dive there, and watch fireworks from Jim Gentile’s boat (a fun dive)
- Washington Island (Door Co.) -- Labor Day weekend -- Ruth Magnus, coordinator
- 10 Acres chez Magnus / Brutlag
- 14 divers showed hands of interest
- No air on the island, but tanks available in Chicago.
- Signup sheet for camping needs, etc.
- Project AWARE Day -- Beach Clean-up, September 19, 2009
- Ruth Magnus coordinating efforts with UPS who will be supporting this activity.
- DiveHeart / UASC Project - survey dive.
- Return to the Tacoma to see how it has changed since the last survey?
- Gene Hasiak is our new coordinator with DiveHeart
- Gene and Diana attended DiveHeart training and were very impressed with their operations.
- Gene went to the Great Lakes Training Center
- Always looking for more dive buddies and instructors.
- There may be an opportunity for UASC to make a presentation to the cadets.
- There is a new e-mail group for UASC members interested in helping DiveHeart - Contact John Bell to get added.
- SURVEY PROJECTS 2009: Surveys/Drawings to be completed; detailed reports to be written:
- See below for further details.
- UASC 20th Anniversary Celebrations
- Party at Kohl / forsberg house, Saturday, July 25, 2009
- George Morley Picnic and Dive ( Done )
- If we get the Buc sunk this year, Hank Fiene will throw the party.
- Still looking for other good ideas.
- Upcoming Shows
- Feb. 19-21, 2010: The SPECIAL 40th “Our World -- Underwater” Show, Chicago, IL
- Feb. 27, 2010:
- March 5-6, 2010 (Fri. & Sat.) -- 11th annual “Ghost Ships Festival,” Milwaukee, WI
- $10 savings to the 2010 show for new members to UASC
- $5 savings to the 2010 show for regular members.
- John Bell is looking for some big jugs - Empty detergent bottles to make marker buoys.
- THANKS to Dan Kasberger ( Refreshments Coordinator ) and John & Kat Bell for tonight’s refreshments
- NEXT UASC MEETING: 6:30 PM, Wednesday, July 29, 2009.
- Speaker will be ???
- Refreshment coordinator for 2009 is Dan Kasberger.
- ??? to provide refreshments
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2009 in ??’ - Claen-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Photographers recently dove on the Material Service and collected info to complete the project.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speakers - Harvey Moshman and Chuck Coppola -- TV Producers
Many UASC members are already familiar with Harvey Moshman because he has seen to it that news of the work which UASC has been doing over the past 20 years has been broadcast locally on Chicago television. He now works for Weigel Broadcasting in Chicago and also operates his own company called Moshman Productions. Chuck Coppola is also a television producer and the narrator of the documentary, “Lost and Found, Legacy of the USS Lagarto,” (about a submarine built at Manitowoc, Wisconsin, and sunk in the Pacific in World War II), which they will show tonight.
- The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.