Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 29 July 2009
- Approximately 25 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Ron Axe - New Member joined at tonight's meeting.
- Jeff Rouse - New Member joined in June.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Dean and Karen Nolan.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Scott Reimer could not make tonight's meeting. Rosters from last month were available..
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Dues are VERY past due ! Please get checks and ( updated ) info to Bob.
- Some new dues income and some recent expenditures.
- Contact Bob for further information.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Kevin Vaugn coordinating an underwater puzzle competition as a fundraiser for diabetes.
- July 26 - Jim Haigh Memorial Dive at Haigh Quarry
- Sept 19 - International Beach Clean Up
- Kevin Vaugn contacted DNR and got an enthusiastic response.
- Oct 4 - Underwater Pumpkin Carving Dive at Haigh Quarry
- NOVEMBER 14th NEW DATE - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Burnham Yacht Club, same venue as the Xmas party.
- $32.00 - down from 42 last year.
- Chicken Marsala, Grilled Salmon, or Pasta Primavera.
- EXCELLENT Raffle!!!
- Credit Cards required for the cash bar.
- Cocktails at 6:00, Dinner at 7:00
- Nov 3 - ICSSD Budget Meeting
- Ongoing project for dive safety - In process of updating Z-folders for boaters.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl
- The May/June newsletter has been mailed out.
- July/August issue will be out soon.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Dive Coordinator - Michael Angelo Gagliardi
- Michael e-mails his reports to
, as he cannot make meetings.
- Survey dives to the Rotarian and Wings of the Wind, July 6, 2009 - Cris Kohl
- Jeff Rouse, Michael Angelo Gagliardi, Dean Nolan, Joan Forsberg, Cris Kohl and John Bell dove.
- Took lots of pictures and videos.
- We need to gather all Rotarian info that various members have accumulated.
- Buccaneer - Bob Rushman, & Jim Gentile
- Ships to Reefs Articles
- Most big work party days are done.
- There is still some work to be done, but not a huge amount.
- Paperwork being filed this week.
- Please direct all questions from the media to Jim Gentile.
- Discussion of best approach to sinking, and how much concrete to add.
- Washington Island (Door Co.) -- Labor Day weekend -- Ruth Magnus, coordinator
- 10 Acres chez Magnus / Brutlag
- 14 divers showed hands of interest
- No air on the island, but tanks available in Chicago.
- Contact Ruth for camping needs, etc.
- Chicago Maritime Trail
- N.A.S. Course in Underwater Archaeology
- Chicago Maritime Society -- Call 312 665-7334 (Trigg Waller) for free membership
- UASC’s new Chicago shipwrecks DVD
- $15 for the public, $12 for members
- 40% discount available to anyone who buys 10 or more. ( $9 each. )
- Tentative Club Dives:
- On a Wed. eve, anchor over the wreck of the Flora M. Hill, dive there, and watch fireworks from Jim Gentile’s boat (a fun dive)
- Tentatively scheduled for August 12.
- Project AWARE Day -- Beach Clean-up, September 19, 2009
- Ruth Magnus coordinating efforts with UPS who will be supporting this activity.
- DiveHeart / UASC Project - survey dive.
- Return to the Tacoma to see how it has changed since the last survey?
- Gene Hasiak is our new coordinator with DiveHeart
- There is a new e-mail group for UASC members interested in helping DiveHeart - Contact John Bell to get added.
- SURVEY PROJECTS 2009: Surveys/Drawings to be completed; detailed reports to be written:
- See below for further details.
- UASC 20th Anniversary Celebrations
- Party at Kohl / forsberg house, Saturday, August 22, 2009 - Note New Date !
- 2:00 P.M to 2:00 A.M.
- Pool Party - Bring a suit if you wear one. :-)
- George Morley Picnic and Dive ( Done )
- If we get the Buc sunk this year, Hank Fiene will throw the party.
- Still looking for other good ideas.
- Upcoming Shows
- Feb. 19-21, 2010: The SPECIAL 40th “Our World -- Underwater” Show, Chicago, IL
- Feb. 27, 2010:
- March 5-6, 2010 (Fri. & Sat.) -- 11th annual “Ghost Ships Festival,” Milwaukee, WI
- $10 savings to the 2010 show for new members to UASC
- $5 savings to the 2010 show for regular members.
- THANKS to Dan Kasberger ( Refreshments Coordinator ) and Dean and Karen Nolan for tonight’s refreshments
- NEXT UASC MEETING: 6:30 PM, Wednesday, August 26, 2009.
- Speaker will be ???
- Refreshment coordinator for 2009 is Dan Kasberger.
- ??? to provide refreshments
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2009 in ??’ - Claen-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Cris Kohl brought a blueprint drawing of the Material Service to tonight's meeting.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker - Lee Murdock -- Great Lakes Balladeer and Story Teller
A Special Evening with Lee Murdock is recognized around the inland seas as a maritime historian who happens to use music as his main medium of disseminating information while simultaneously providing entertainment. His many CDs contain both traditional tunes from Great Lakes maritime history, plus many original compositions about ships and sailors of the freshwater seas, including numerous haunting melodies about Great Lakes shipwrecks.
- The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.