Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 25 February 2009
- Approximately 35 members met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Four new members signed up at tonight's meeting. :-)
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Dan Kasberger and Chet Childs
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Scott Reimer is working on udating the membership lists.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Dues are past due ! Please get checks and ( updated ) info to Bob.
- Contact Bob for further information.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Feb 19 - Club Appreciation Night
- March 29 - Underwater Competition
- Pavilion Pool Complex, 1000 Wellington Avenue, Elk Grove Village
- Arrive by 8:00, Events start at 9:00 a.m.
- Dan Kasberger will be captaining the UASC team.
- July 18 - Jim Haigh Memorial Dive at Haigh Quarry
- Aug 7-9 - A new dive club, the Atlantis Divers is planning a trip to Tobermoray.
- Contact Karen ??? at 708 371-0371 for more information.
- Their next meeting will be March 17th meeting at Sawa's Old Warsaw Restaurant, 9200 Cermak Road in Broadview.
- Sept 19 - International Beach Clean Up
- Oct 4 - Pumpkin Carving Dive at Haigh Quarry
- Oct 10 - President's Night
- Nov 3 - ICSSD Budget Meeting
- UW Christmas Tree Decorating?
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl - The January/February newsletter has been mailed and should be in members' mailboxes. The February/March issue is under development and will probably come out after Ghost Ships. Material for future newsletters is appreciated.
- UASC CPR class -- Wednesday, February 11, 2009 -- Chet Childs, Sam Frank
- Did not go, because the instructor was unavailable.
- Will reschedule, probably within the next two weeks.
- Tool Crib Presentation -- Sunday, February 15, 2009 --Don Doherty
- Several UASC members attended.
- Fire killed many workers when the wooden crib caught fire.
- May be a topic for a future UASC meeting.
- Our World -- Underwater, Rosemont (Chicago), Feb. 20-22, 2009 (Fri., Sat., & Sun.)
- Only a few new members ( so far ), but good DVD sales.
- 65 new e-mails on the announcements list, some of which are becoming members.
- New member show special available at tonight's meeting, as well as at the Chicago Maritime Festival and Ghost Ships
- Drawing for Nancy Boucha photos at the March meeting, from new members through Ghost Ships.
- UASC DVD: “Explore Chicago Shipwrecks!” -- Ruth Loftus, Project Coordinator
- Very popular at OWU.
- Available tonight - $15 for non-members, $12 for members.
- The Buccaneer Project -- video and update -- Kathy Braun, Bob Rushman
Meet the last owner of the Buccaneer! -- Ken Wagner, who will talk about the ship’s history and his life on board.
- Upcoing Shows:
- Ghost Ships Festival - Milwaukee, WI, March 20-21, 2009 (Fri. & Sat.)
- $10 savings to the 2010 show for new members to UASC
- $5 savings to the 2010 show for regular members.
- UASC shirts -- Jim Jarecki
- Tentative Club Dives:
- George Morley shore dive & picnic -- Marni Yang & Cheryl Wickstrom coordinators.
- Washington Island (Door Co.) -- Labor Day weekend -- Ruth Magnus, coordinator
- Diveheart Project
- Jim Elliot would like to take disabled divers to Chicago area shipwrecks.
- Jim should be a guest speaker sometime soon.
- Chicago “Maritime Trail” markers -- “Shipwrecks Off Lake Shore Drive” -- Cris Kohl & Joan Forsberg
- XRay online magazine
- Gene Hasiak arranged interviews with Peter
- Broadcast a radio show to the world from UASC ?
- Where should we go with this?
- SURVEY PROJECTS 2009: Surveys/Drawings to be completed; detailed reports to be written:
- Executive Decision: The Material Service report WILL be published this year.
- See Below
- UASC 20th Anniversary Celebrations
- If we get the Buc sunk this year, Hank Fiene will throw the party.
- THANKS to Dan Kasberger (Refreshments Coordinator) and Chet Childs for tonight’s refreshments
- NEXT UASC MEETING: 6:30 PM, Wednesday, March 25, 2009.
- Speaker is Dan Johnson, curator of the Lockwood Pioneer Diving Museum in Rockford, IL.
- Refreshment coordinator for 2009 is Dan Kasberger.
- Ruth Magnus and Mike Brutlag to bring March Refreshments
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2009 in ??’ - Project Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K.
- Photographers recently dove on the Material Service and collected info to complete the project.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
- Kathy Braun presented a video on the cleanup of the Buccaneer.
- Ken Wagner gave a fascinating discussion of the Buccaneer, from the days when his family owned the boat.
- Cris Kohl and Joan Forsberg presented "Shipwrecks off Lakeshore Drive", fresh from its world premier at Our World Underwater.
- The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.