Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 26 August 2009
- Approximately 25 members and guests met at 6:30 on the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Guests and members of the Chicago Maritime Society.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Dean and Karen Nolan.
- UASC mourns the loss of Joyce Hayward, who passed away early this morning.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell provided copies of the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Membership – Scott Reimer provided updated rosters.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances.
- Dues are VERY past due ! Please get checks and ( updated ) info to Bob.
- Very little recent activity.
- Contact Bob for further information.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- Sept 19 - International Beach Clean Up
- Kevin Vaugn contacted DNR and got an enthusiastic response.
- Haigh Quarry Zebra Mussel Roundup
- Oct 4 - Underwater Pumpkin Carving Dive at Haigh Quarry
- NOVEMBER 14th NEW DATE - President's Night Banquet and Raffle
- Burnham Yacht Club, same venue as the Xmas party.
- $32.00 - down from 42 last year.
- Chicken Marsala, Grilled Salmon, or Pasta Primavera.
- EXCELLENT Raffle!!!
- Credit Cards required for the cash bar.
- Cocktails at 6:00, Dinner at 7:00
- Bring a new unwrapped non-violent toy for Toys for Tots.
- Nov 3 - ICSSD Budget Meeting
- Dean Nolan is the new Executive Vice President
- Ongoing project for dive safety - In process of updating Z-folders for boaters.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl
- The May/June newsletter has been mailed out.
- July/August issue will be out soon.
- Cris thanks all who contribute to the newsletter, past and future.
- Dive Coordinator - Michael Angelo Gagliardi
- Michael e-mails his reports to
, as he cannot make meetings.
- UASC’s 20th Birthday Party at the Kohl/Forsberg home, Saturday, August 22, 2009
- 2:00 P.M. to 11:00 P.M. Plus !
- Buccaneer - Hank Fiene
- Paperwork filed
- DNR will be posting a notice this week.
- Expect an inspection in the next 30 days.
- Please direct all questions from the media to Jim Gentile.
- Washington Island (Door Co.) -- Labor Day weekend -- Ruth Magnus, coordinator
- 10 Acres chez Magnus / Brutlag
- Three boats expected - approx 10 to 12 divers.
- Hank Fiene bringing a compressor.
- Bring cooler's to share.
- Contact Ruth for camping needs, etc.
- UASC’s new Chicago shipwrecks DVD
- Joan has shipped a few for which we received orders
- $15 for the public, $12 for members
- 40% discount available to anyone who buys 10 or more. ( $9 each. )
- Tentative Club Dives:
- On a Wed. eve, anchor over the wreck of the Flora M. Hill, dive there, and watch fireworks from Jim Gentile’s boat (a fun dive)
- Project AWARE Day -- Beach Clean-up, September 19, 2009
- Ruth Magnus coordinating efforts with UPS who will be supporting this activity.
- DiveHeart / UASC Project - survey dive.
- Return to the Tacoma to see how it has changed since the last survey?
- Gene Hasiak is our new coordinator with DiveHeart.
- Diveheart has training programs every month for dive buddies, including training trips.
- Looking for boats on which to take out disabled divers.
- There is a new e-mail group for UASC members interested in helping DiveHeart - Contact John Bell to get added.
- SURVEY PROJECTS 2009: Surveys/Drawings to be completed; detailed reports to be written:
- See below for further details.
- Sept 12 Presentation day in Superior Wisconsin, whaleback museum, McDougal's Dream.
- Burnham Harbor Cleanup dive Sept 19, limited to 80 participants, Sign up with Windy City Diving.
- THANKS to Dan Kasberger ( Refreshments Coordinator ) and Todd Hitzeman and Eileen Gustafson for tonight’s refreshments
- NEXT UASC MEETING: 6:30 PM, Wednesday, September 30, 2009.
- Speaker will be ALL UASC MEMBERS
- Topic: "How I Spent my Summer Vacation"
- 5 to 10 minutes each
- Refreshment coordinator for 2009 is Dan Kasberger.
- Pot Luck refreshments - Everybody bring something.
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2009 in ??’ - Clean-up Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K./Cris K.
- Contact Cris or Joan if you have any relevant materials - Report to be generated soon.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Rotarian - Scuttled on September 28, 1931 in 80' - Project Leader: Tony Kiefer
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
Guest Speaker - Ted Karamanski
Ted Karamanski is an Associate Professor of History at Loyola University in Chicago. He is the author of several books, including “Schooner Passage, Sailing Ships and the Lake Michigan Frontier” (2000) and “Rally ‘Round the Flag: Chicago and the Civil War” (1993). He is also the co-author of the Arcadia book, “Maritime Chicago” (2000). His topic this evening is the National Landmark Maritime Landscape Project, involving Lake Michigan’s Manitou Passage
- The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.