Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 29 October 2008
- Approximately 25 members met at 6:30 at the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Cris Kohl.
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell read the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances. Contact Bob for further information.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- 5 October - Underwater Pumpkin Carving Dive at Haigh Quarry, sponsored by CASA.
- 11 October - Presidents' Night Banquet and Raffle at Charlie's Charhouse,
- Bob Rushman of UASC was awarded Diver of the Year for his work on the Buccaneer
- Bob Gadbois of UASC ( and other dive clubs ) was awarded the Arthur Swanson Humanitarian Award
- Tritons won the Club of the Year Award
- 11 November - ICSSD Budget Meeting, 7:30 p.m. at Mr. Beef and Pizza.
- Membership – Scott Reimer provided updated membership lists, with 101 names on it.
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl - The September/October newsletter has been mailed and is available at this month's meeting. Material for future newsletters is appreciated.
- Website – Brian Hopkins and John Bell will be working on updating the web site. Any feedback will be welcome.
- WUAA Annual Conference, Milwaukee
- John & Ruth Loftus & John Bell attended
- Presentations of note included one on sonar surveying of shipwreck sites. Dave Thompson of the Nautilus Marine Group offered to come help survey our wrecks, in exchange for gas money & food. We would also need to provide a suitable boat.
- The Lockwood Pioneer Scuba Diving Museum in Loves Park had its Grand Opening on Saturday October 4th.
- Speakers include Bob Marx ( Keynote ), David Trotter, Brendan Baillod, Kimm Stabelfelt, Paul Ehorn, Brad Friend, & Cris Kohl
- Next month ( November 19th ) will be elections.
- Contact Jim Jarecki to nominate yourself or others.
- The current slate of officers have all been nominated to keep their current posts.
- Nominations will be accepted from the floor. Both the nominator and the nominee must be present, and the nominee must accept the nomination.
- The Buccaneer Project - Project update by Bob Rushman
- Sinking postponed to 2009, hopefully in the Spring
- Deck needs to be covered and sealed.
- Engine room is wiped clean, needs steam cleaning.
- Ship will be sealed over the winter to keep critters out of the interior.
- Discussion of whether to auction items from the ship, and whether or not concrete ballast will be needed.
- Thanks to all who have helped with the cleanup so far.
- Lots of work already done, but LOTS OF HELP STILL NEEDED!
- Contact John Bell if you would like to be added to the Buccaneer project mailing list.
- The Tim Early Foundation has agreed to match donations up to $1000 - Forms available tonight or from Joan.
- Claire Yashar will be surveying the ship - Contact Claire if you want to help.
- Chicago Shipwrecks DVD - Ruth Loftus
- Popular dive sites will be covered with pictures, history, etc. ( See below for list. )
- ~ 1 hour - Five wrecks at 10 minutes each, or 10 wrecks at 5 minutes each.
- Bob Gadbois to do the production work.
- Don Doherty to write the intro and conclusion
- Michael Angelo to provide the cover art.
- Eight wrecks, to be prepared by:
- Wells Burt - Cris Kohl
- Rotarian & St. Marys - Keith Pearson
- Material Service - Jim Jarecki
- The Straits of Mackinac - Chet Childs
- Subchaser - Tony Kiefer
- Tacoma - John Loftus
- Wings of the Wind - Joan Forsberg - Presented tonight as a sample.
- Contact Ruth if you have materials to contribute.
- Materials need to be delivered to Bob Gadbois by the end of October to have the finished product ready in time for Our World Underwater and the Chicago Maritime Festival.
- Some sections are done, but not quite all yet.
- UASC shirts
- Jim Jarecki is working on it.
- Jim presented a sample image of a dark blue shirt with a white logo and lettering.
- $25 for all sizes up to XL, $27 for larger sizes.
- Chicago “Maritime Trail” - Joan Forsberg
- Scuba Tour -- Navy Pier, Nov. 15-16, 2008. A "Try Scuba" type of thing, attracts 20,000 people.
- NEXT UASC MEETING: 6:30 P.M. on Wednesday 19th. Speaker: Jim & Pat Stayer, Refreshments: John Gerty
- NOTE THAT THIS IS ONE WEEK EARLIER THAN NORMAL, to avoid conflicts with Thanksgiving.
- Gadbois will bring refreshments in January.
- Proposal made for future refreshments to be light snacks only, possibly on a pot-luck basis.
- UASC / LOUP Christmas party Saturday December 6th at the Burnham Yacht Club.
- Suggestions are always welcome for future guest speakers.
- Shipwreck Survey Projects - See Below
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Buccaneer - To be scuttled in 2008 in ??’ - Project Leader: Bob Rushman.
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K.
- Photographers recently dove on the Material Service and collected info to complete the project.
- Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 40’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
- Project may be nearing completion.
- The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader:Needed
- Art Chavez is a maritime historian, railroad car ferry expert, and author. His articles have appeared in many publications, including Sea Classics, Crossings, Anchor News, and Transfer. He is the 2004 recipient of the Barkhausen Award for his research on, and writings about, Lake Michigan car ferries. Art has appeared on the History Channel’s “Deep Sea Detectives” series, and he is the author of two books about Lake Michigan car ferries. He lives in Milwaukee.
- The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.