Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago
Meeting Minutes 25 June 2008
- Approximately 25 members met at 6:30 at the 8th floor of the Helix Building, 310 S. Racine at Jackson.
- Tonight's meeting was run by Joan Forsberg, with food provided by Cheryl Wickstrom
Board and Committee Reports
- Secretary - John Bell read the minutes from the last meeting, which were approved.
- Treasury – Bob Gadbois reported on the state of UASC finances. Contact Bob for further information.
- ICSSD – Claire Gadbois reported on the Illinois Council of Skin and Scuba Divers:
- 20 July - Jim Haigh Memorial Dive at Haigh Quarry. Live bands, auctions, half price entry. Proceeds to benefit the Shedd Aquarium's Volunteer Diver Program.
- 20 Sept - International Beach Clean Up at Haigh Quarry. Zebra Mussel collection, raffles, food, T-shirts.
- 5 October - Underwater Pumpkin Carving Dive at Haigh Quarry, sponsored by CASA.
- 11 October - Presidents' Night Banquet and Raffle at Charlie's Charhouse, 1180 W. Devon, Elk Grove Village. Cocktails at 6:00, Dinner at 7:00. Tickets are $42, for sale in July. Applications for club, diver, and humanitarian of the year due by September meeting. Please bring Toys For Tots, unwrapped, non-violent, with batteries.
- 29 August - Boy Scouts looking for volunteer divemasters to help out at Haigh Quarry. Donations of money or food are also appreciated. For further information contact Robert Richmod Jr. at 630 645-9831.
- Membership – Roger Brown
- Newsletter – Cris Kohl reported ont he state of the newsletter. The next new letter will be available by the July meeting.
- Door County Dive Trip -- June 27-29, 2008 -- Joan Forsberg, trip coordinator
- Historic Discovery: H.M.S. Ontario, lost with 100 lives in a storm on Oct. 31, 1780 in Lake Ontario (Cris Kohl)
- The Buccaneer Project - Bob Rushman coordinator extraordinaire. Contact John Bell if you would like to be added to the Buccaneer project mailing list.
- Clean-up Days for Members’ Boats
- NEXT UASC MEETING: Speaker: Patrick Hammer Topic: The Scuttling of the The Straits of Mackinac. 6:30 P.M. on July 30 2008.
- Suggestions are always welcome for future guest speakers.
- Shipwreck Survey Projects - See Below
Shipwreck Survey Projects
- Material Service - Sank on July 29, 1936 in 38’ - Project Leader: Jim J./John L./Tony K.
Barge No. 2 - Sank on Sept. 29, 1906 in 42’ - Project Leader: John Loftus
David Wells - Sank on Oct. 16, 1880 in 33’ - Project Leader: Liz Jurkacek
The Straits of Mackinac - Scuttled on April 10, 2003 in 78’ - Project Leader needed
- Keith Pearson is the Captain and the lead commercial diver for Towboat US. Keith is not only a Past President of the Underwater Archaeological Society of Chicago (as
is his wife, Celeste), but he is also one of the founding members of UASC. Keith was instrumental in convincing A & T Recovery to release the coordinates of the historic schooner, Wells Burt, to
UASC and to others. Keith will inspire our 2008 UASC members with his two formal presentations on the Chicago wrecks of the schooner, St. Mary, and the wooden steamer, Rotarian, both of which remain report projects which UASC hopes to complete.
- The meeting was adjourneda at approximately 9:00, after which a number of members retired to Ricobene's for further discussions and socializing.